Makerere UniversityCollege of Health Sciences of School Public Health (MakSPH)-ResilientAfrica Network (RAN) funded by USAID is a partnership of 20 African universities in 13 countries. RAN is one of eight development labs under the Higher Education Solutions Network (HESN) in the office of Science and Technology (OST), USAID. We would like to recruit persons in the following positions:
- Senior Manager, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL)(1)
- Projects Manager (1)
Senior Manager, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL)
The MEL Manager will be responsible for providing technical leadership, oversight and strategic direction for monitoring, evaluation and Learning (MEL) activities for all RAN Projects. The Senior Manager will develop and oversee the implementation of M&E systems, evaluation, and document learnings including compilation of reports and submission through USAID’s Dev results platform. The Manager will provide technical leadership to develop annual M&E framework, project frameworks, plans and indicators to capture performance results as well as providing effective, accurate and timely reporting of all project activities. Will support M&E activities across the Network ensuring that lessons learned are integrated into project implementation to continuously improve quality of interventions and outcomes. He/she will be responsible for documenting and disseminating project successes and challenges and will work under the supervision of Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP). He/she will support the designing and conducting operations research.
- Work as the Monitoring and Evaluation focal point for the ResilientAfrica Network program.
- Coordinate monitoring and evaluation of deliverables from both project-based output measurements as well as impact evaluative measurements and will collaborate with M&E programmatic staff at partner institutions.
- Develop and oversee data flow pattern for the projects to ensure timely data collection and reporting
- Development of M & E framework and methodology for the Performance Management Plan (PMP), based on inputs from RAN staff and other stakeholders
- Ensure completeness and quality of data and provide all necessary information for the quarterly and Annual Performance Reviews
- Develop, implement, and maintain a quality database(s) of indicators and activities including USAID Higher Education and Solutions Network (HESN) indicators.
- Document and share M & E experiences of regional partners and stakeholders
- Develop proper databases for sharing of information on programme successes and statistics
- Ensure proper implementation of the PMP
- Ensure that precise data is maintained and recorded for proper completion of Performance Management activities
- Other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor
Education & Experience:
- A master’s degree in public health, demography, epidemiology, biostatistics, social science or any related field. A PhD is an added advantage
- Minimum 8 years of work experience in monitoring and evaluating multi-institutional and international development projects
- Demonstrated experience working with USAID with knowledge of USAID’s reporting requirements and Dev results platform
- Proven experience in qualitative and quantitative research methodologies, operations research.
- Strong analytical skills, including ability to analyze data using one or more statistical software packages, including at least one of the following: SPSS, Stata or Atalas Ti.
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Demonstrated experience with PMP development and implementation.
The Projects Manager (PM) will continuously liaise between different members of the project technical team to facilitate communication and harmonize activities across the team. Will be responsible for researching, writing and coordinating the grant application process; management of proposals and maintaining a donor database. The PM will contribute a deep understanding of systems approaches to support the implementation, supervision, evaluation, and refinement of project activities. The PM will plan and execute research activities and manage budgetary and logistical issues. The PM will report day-to-day to Deputy CoP
Focal Point Person
- Serve as primary point of contact for project and maintain continuous communication between different project technical team ensuring that projects communicate to each other.
- Convene, lead, and document weekly Team Technical conference calls
- Align and harmonize technical inputs from RAN staff and other stakeholders with set priorities for smooth project implementation.
- Support Writing of high-quality grant proposal narratives, applications and supporting documents
- Responsible for researching, collecting data, and writing of grants
- Manage the proposal submission process to ensure timely submission of all required materials.
- Develops and maintains a proposal calendar including proposals in process, submissions and awards
- Develops a RAN grants strategy
- Conduct prospect research to identify, cultivate and solicit new grants
- Participate in budget and activity planning activities.
- Plan and execute research project activities including site preparation, intervention testing, and measurement activities.
- Ensure research ethics procedures are followed, including seeking in-country IRB approval, data collection supervision, and field-based activity implementation
- Draft and revise research project reports and other technical documents in coordination with Deputy CoP and Director Operations
- Plan and participate in dissemination of project results including meetings with partners, government & community stakeholders and the greater global community.
- Organize field travel for the project technical team, partners and international visitors.
Education & Experience
- A master’s degree in public health, demography, epidemiology, biostatistics, social science or any related fieldand at least 5 years of relevant work experience. A PhD is an added advantage
- Experience grants and managing research projects
- Demonstrated experience in research and grant writing
- Demonstrated ability to write successful grant proposals
- Detail-oriented, organized and deadline driven
- Clear, precise and compelling writing skills
- Experience with international donor-supported projects and US-based organizations
- Demonstrated skills in data collection, data management, ethical research implementation
- Strong oral and written communication skills; experience writing reports, giving presentations, and attending multi-organizational stakeholder meetings
- Ability to draft and monitor project budgets and formulate financial projections
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
Deadline for receiving applications: 30 August 2019
NB: Only candidates short listed will be contacted for interview