What: The Higher Education Solutions Network’s TechCon2014 is a public event that brings together students, academics, international development experts, investors, entrepreneurs and tech influencers to address how science, technology, and innovation are shaping international development and the solutions to our most important development challenges.
This year, TechCon 2014 will showcase more than 40 innovations emerging from USAID’s Higher Education Solutions Network (HESN) Development Labs and partners. An Innovation Marketplace will showcase innovations, and will conclude with one young innovator being crowned the top winner through a Shark Tank style competition. TechCon will also offer a variety of discussions, networking opportunities, conference sessions, and talks by leading voices in development.
Who: TechCon 2014 is a unique convening of researchers and students, entrepreneurs and innovators, field practitioners and private/public sector professionals focused on creative approaches to solution ideation, testing, and scaling for international development.
The convening will feature eight university-based labs comprising USAID’s Higher Education Solutions Network (HESN), including:
- University of California, Berkeley’s Development Impact Lab
- Duke University’s Social Entrepreneurship Accelerator
- MIT’s International Development Innovation Network
- MIT’s Comprehensive Initiative on Technology Evaluation
- College of William and Mary’s AidData Center for Development Policy
- Texas A&M University’s Conflict and Development
- Michigan State University’s Global Center for Food Systems Innovation
- Makerere University’s ResilientAfrica Network (RAN), based in Uganda
Confirmed speakers include;
- Nicholas Dirks, Chancellor of UC Berkeley
- Lynelle Cameron, President and CEO of the Autodesk Foundation and the Senior Director of Sustainability at Autodesk, Inc.
- Chuck Slaughter, Founder and CEO of LivingGoods
- Kate Bergeron, Senior Director of Product Design at Apple
- Richard Blum, Founder and Trustee of the Blum Center for Developing Economies
- Eric Brewer, Vice President of Infrastructure at Google
- Lona Stoll, Acting Executive Director of USAID’s Global Development Lab
When & Where: November 8 – 10, 2014
UC Berkeley, California Memorial Stadium Conference Center
210 Stadium Rim Way, Berkeley, CA 94720
Opportunities: Student innovators, Senior USAID staff, HESN university leadership and Development Lab innovators available for interviews, learning and networking; all talks on the record; explanations of current ideas and inventions.
Details: Accredited press only. Invitation transferrable upon request. Cameras welcome.
Social: Follow the conversation on Twitter at @USAID, @GlobalDevLab and #HESN
To learn more about the Higher Education Solutions Network or TechCon2014, please visit http://www.usaid.gov/hesn.