Makerere University School of Public Health ResilientAfrica Network (RAN) in collaboration with the Strengthening Leadership in Disaster Resilience Program (SLDRP) Uganda is delivering a Certificate Course in Climate Risk Management (CRM). This training is in partnership with the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) and the Office of the Prime Minister in Uganda. The course will run for 7 weeks employing mixed methods of learning. Participants take off 2 weeks of pre-workshop self-directed learning, 1 week of intensive face-to-face workshop/training, 3 weeks of supported post-workshop online learning moderated by facilitators and lastly 1 week for the final examination and course evaluation.
The course is undertaken by 24 officials selected from the District Disaster Management Committees (DDMC) of districts that are prone to disasters including: Kasese, Bududda, Bulambuli, Sironko, Manafwa, Amuria, Kyegegwa and Katakwi. The training is focusing on 6 key modules: Module 1: Disaster Risk Management, Module 2: Climate Risk Assessment,Module 3: Climate Change Mitigation & Adaptation; Module 4: Early Warning in the Changing Environment; Module 5: Resilience Leadership in DRM; Module 6: Action Planning
The face-to-face course session is ongoing at the ResilientAfrica Network (RAN) Innovation Lab located on Plot 30 Upper Kololo Terrace and will run from Monday April 25 to 29, 2016.
By completing this certificate course, participants will be able to:
- Articulate key policy and technical issues regarding disaster and climate risk management in a professional way.
- Apply analytical and information based decision making skills and tools for effective CRM practices.
- Discuss the main approaches to addressing climate change (adaptation and mitigation) and how to integrate these responses into DRR initiatives.
- Identify actions and entry points for integration of climate risk mitigation and adaptation into local service delivery and development.
- Identify the role of their agency and themselves personally in DRM and CRM practices.
- Identify the leadership challenges in CRM practices and appropriate actions to overcome such challenges.
The course is facilitated by faculty from Makerere University College of Health Sciences School of Public Health and the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences.