Prof. Barnabas Nawangwe, Makerere University Deputy Vice Chancellor (right), Prof. William Bazeyo, Dean Makerere University School of Public Health and RAN Chief of Party/Lab Director (left) take off a moment with David Ferguson, Director Center for Development Innovation at US Global Development Lab-USAID
The University of Carlifornia Berkeley in the US is proudly hosting the Higher Education Solutions Network’s TechCon2014 www.usaid.gov/hesn. This is a public event that brings together students, academics, international development experts, investors, entrepreneurs and tech influencers to address how science, technology, and innovation are shaping international development and the solutions to our most pressing community development challenges.
This year, TechCon2014 is showcasing more than 40 innovations emerging from USAID’s Higher Education Solutions Network (HESN) Development Labs and partners. The climax of TechCon2014 will be an Innovation Marketplace to showcase innovations, and will conclude with one young innovator
“USAID’s Higher Education Solutions Network Showcasing Breakthrough Innovations from Top Universities November 8-10, 2014”
being crowned the top winner through a Shark Tank style competition. TechCon2014 is also offering a variety of both group and one on one discussion, networking opportunities, conference sessions, and talks by leading voices in development.Additionally,TechCon2014 is a unique convening of researchers and students, entrepreneurs and innovators, field practitioners and private/public sector professionals focused on creative approaches to solution ideation, testing, and scaling for international development.
Eight university-based labs comprising USAID’s Higher Education Solutions Network (HESN), are participating in this technical convening. These include the following;
- University of California, Berkeley’s Development Impact Lab
- Duke University’s Social Entrepreneurship Accelerator
- MIT’s International Development Innovation Network
- MIT’s Comprehensive Initiative on Technology Evaluation
- College of William and Mary’s AidData Center for Development Policy
- Texas A&M University’s Conflict and Development
- Michigan State University’s Global Center for Food Systems Innovation
- Makerere University’s ResilientAfrica Network (RAN), based in Uganda
Speakers at the convening include;
- Nicholas Dirks, Chancellor of UC Berkeley
- Lynelle Cameron, President and CEO of the Autodesk Foundation and the Senior Director of Sustainability at Autodesk, Inc.
- Chuck Slaughter, Founder and CEO of LivingGoods
- Kate Bergeron, Senior Director of Product Design at Apple
- Richard Blum, Founder and Trustee of the Blum Center for Developing Economies
- Eric Brewer, Vice President of Infrastructure at Google
- Lona Stoll, Acting Executive Director of USAID’s Global Development Lab
The participants at TechCon2014 are leveraging from a great learning and networking opportunity for and withstudent innovators, Senior USAID staff, HESN university leadership and Development Lab innovators providing explanations of current ideas and inventions.
Prof. Barnabas Nawangwe, Makerere University Deputy Vice Chancellor in charge of Finance and Administration and RAN Patron is leading the RAN team, comprising of Prof. William Bazeyo, Dean Makerere University School of Public Health and RAN Chief of Party/ Lab Director, the Resilience Innovation Lab Directors, student innovators among others.
Follow the conversation on Twitter at @USAID, @GlobalDevLab and #HESN