JOB ADVERT: Senior Project Manager
Headquartered at Makerere University School of Public Health, the ResilientAfrica Network (RAN) is a consortium of over 30 African Universities focused on tapping into African Scholars’ capacity to advance a Development Research and Innovation Agenda with a view to transforming Africa’s communities. RAN strongly believes that while development efforts have saved millions of lives, these large investments could achieve even better results in breaking the recurrent cycles of adversity and in transforming community livelihoods if developed through a ‘resilience’ lens. RAN is implementing several donor-funded multidisciplinary research and innovation projects across multiple countries in Sub-Saharan Africa. These include Anglophone, Francophone, and Lusophone countries: Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Malawi, Mozambique, Ghana, Senegal, and Mali. RAN seeks to recruit a Senior Project Manager to support the implementation of its projects in some of the listed countries above.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Overall coordination of the day-to-day activities of the RAN projects as assigned
- Implement and monitor the project work plan while maintaining good collaboration and liaison with RAN partners
- Provide technical and other support and coordinate activities in RAN partner countries to ensure that activities are carried out in accordance with agreed work plans and budgets
- Provide capacity building to RAN partner countries through trainings such as systems thinking, research project management, innovation, and enumerator trainings among others
- Support RAN partner country teams in the implementation of stakeholder mapping and engagements to accelerate evidence utilization among data generators, translators and users
- Host regular virtual meetings with RAN partners to review the progress of activities, identify challenges and propose strategies to address them
- Follow up in-country teams regularly so as to ensure that agreed timelines are met
- Work with RAN partner country team leads to ensure timely and quality preparation and submission of progress reports and activity deliverables to the RAN Secretariat
- Develop progress reports in accordance with projects and funders’ requirements
- Take lead in organizing progress review meetings and discussions to provide feedback to RAN country partners, Prime Institutions and Funders
- Communicate in line with the agreed Prime and Subaward communication strategy to ensure effective communications and decision-making between the RAN Secretariat, RAN Sub-awardees, and the Prime.
- Serve as the RAN Secretariat point of contact and provide information and updates in liaison with the RAN partner country Principal Investigators and the RAN Secretariat
- Manage, coordinate and contribute to peer-learning and knowledge exchange platforms for the partnership
- Initiate and lead grant writing efforts to leverage funds from partners and donors
- Conduct a review of reports and other deliverables from projects under their supervision to ensure that they are of high-level quality both technically and in terms of suitability for development partner audiences
- Lead a team of other project managers to ensure that projects are coordinated, aligned and compliant with agreed standards
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned, from time to time, by the RAN Supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Suitable applicants MUST possess a Masters in a research-related field such as Public Health, Biostatistics, Health Services Research, Monitoring and Evaluation, and Social Sciences. Ph.D. is an added advantage
- At least five years of experience in coordination of donor-funded research projects or programs that are multi-sectoral, multidisciplinary, or multi-country/multi-cultural in nature
- Excellent writing and editorial skills including writing for development audiences
- Excellent presentation skills including to development and research audiences
- Proven experience in grants writing
- Experience in working with academia is an added advantage
- Experience in working with international partners or/and under consortia is an added advantage
- Experience in computer-based data analysis using quantitative data analysis packages such as EpiInfo, SPSS, STATA or SAS, and qualitative data analysis using packages such as ATLAS.ti, Nivivo, or Dedoose is essential
- Experience in Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) related to donor-funded programs is desirable
- Diplomacy, initiative, ability to work independently, strong communication and ability to work with multi-cultural teams as well as meeting deadlines are necessary qualities.
- Ability to speak French is an added advantage
- Additional training in leadership and management is an added advantage
One-year contract renewable upon satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
Level of effort
Full-time; sometimes requiring working over the weekends and public holidays field and international travel.
How to Apply
merge all your documents including a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and supporting documents as one document and upload. Applications should be submitted by September 30, 2022.